Welcome to this month’s T-SQL Tuesday Round-Up! A few weeks ago, I sent out a call for bloggers and must say that I’m utterly blown away by the response. A whopping FORTY bloggers responded last week with contributions for Growing New Speakers! Four – zero! You people are all amazing!!!
I’ve decided to split the list of contributors into three groups.
- New Speakers: Those who have never presented before!
- Novice Speakers: Those who have presented just once, just a few times, or perhaps long ago in a galaxy far, far away. Generally if you’ve only spoken a handful of times, been speaking for less than a year, and/or self-identified as a new-ish speaker, you were grouped here.
- Experienced Speakers: Those who are seasoned speakers.
- Andrew Pruski-First Foray Into Presenting: @dbafromthecold
Shares story of first presentation
- Angela Tidwell: @angelatidwell
Writes about things learned at PASS Summit about presenting
- Arun Sirpal-SQL Server – Reconfigure: @blobeater1
Explores RECONFIGURE in a technical blog for a first presentation
- Chris Voss: @ceedubvee
Writes about upcoming first presentations and muses how to progress further
- Constantine Kokkinos-Exploring DBA Tools or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love PowerShell: @mobileck
Blogs about DBATools & Powershell for first presentation
- Deb Melkin-If I Were a Speaker…: @dgmelkin
Explores three ideas for a first presentation
- Devon Leann Ramirez: @restinbeachface
Writes an introduction for first presentation
- Jo Douglass: @jodouglass
Writes about 1st presentation topic idea: surrogate keys as a DW/ETL anti-pattern
- Michelle Haarhues-On the Doorsteps: @mhaarhues
Explores Women In Technology and first presentation about women presenters
- Robert Preseau: @robertpreseau
Writes about overcoming mental obstacles to speaking
- Scott Millard-Taking the next step – becoming a speaker: @leftseatsql
Accepts the challenge to speak
- Tywan Terrell: @tyawnterrell
Writes about T-SQL fundamentals as first presentation topic
- Anthony Nocentino-Public Speaking – The First Time: @nocentino
Shares an updated recap blog from first presentation
- Bjoern Peters-Become a Speaker at a PASS Event or other Meetups – share your knowledge: @sql_aus_hh
Writes about elements that make for a good presentation
- Chris Lumnah: @lumnah
Reflects on lessons learned after first presentation
- Chris Sommer: @cjsommer
Shares things to think about when writing a new presentation
- Kenneth Fisher-Zip to Speaker: @sqlstudent144
Recaps prior blogs about speaking & offers encouragement
- Kevin Hill-Speaking & Presenting: @kevin3nf
Explores DBA Basics for Non-DBAs as a “first” presentation idea
- Matt Gordon: @sqlatspeed
Shares two key lessons learned
- Mike Kane: @tcp1433
Explores target audience, topic, and format
- Monica Rathbun-Helping New Speakers: @sqlespresso
Writes how to get started
- Wylie Blanchard-Use Video as a Tool to Enhance Speaking Skill and Create Content: @wylieblanchard1
Discusses value & benefits of videotaping one’s self
- Alexander Arvidsson: @arcticdba
Writes about body language
- Andy Yun-Building Your Slidedeck: @sqlbek
Shares slidedeck building tips
- Brent Ozar-The Three Parts of Every Presentation: @brento
Explores types of presentations
- Derek Hammer-Building an Hour of Content: @sqlhammer
Shares advice in building your first hour long presentation
- Doug Lane-Conquer Your Fear of Presenting with a Gift-Giver’s Mentality: @thedouglane
Presents a video blog about the Gift Giver’s Mentality
- Erin Stellato: @erinstellato
Recaps 4 prior blogs about speaking & addresses topic of comfort
- Jes Borland-Dealing with Failure: @grrl_geek
Discusses how to handle failure on the fly.
- John Deardurff-Speaking about SQL: @john_deardurff
Shares tips about learning itself
- Kathi Kellenberger-New Speakers: @auntkathi
Writes about how to field questions
- Lori Edwards-So You Want to Present: @loriedwards
Builds on prior blog post about speaking, sharing advice learned since
- Michael Swart-I’m Trying To Kick My “Undo Button” Habit: @mjswart
Writes about speaking at PASS Summit for the first time
- Mike Fal-Getting Ready for your Presentation: @mike_fal
Shares how to prepare the day of your presentation.
- Mike Lawell-Speak in Public? What? Me?: @sqldiver
Shares journey about starting speaking.
- Riley Major-No One Wants to Eat You: @rileymajor
Shares his personal story of speaking, followed by a huge list of tips, tricks, and resources
- Rob Farley-How I Prepare for a Presentation: @rob_farley
Writes about deeply exploring your topic
- Rob Sewell-Speaking? You? Go on.: @sqldbawithbeard
Shares advice about getting into speaking
- Steff Locke-A note to (potential) new speakers: It’s ok not to be perfect!: @stefflocke
Reinforces that perfection is not necessary.
- Steve Jones: @way0utwest
Encourages readers to speak.
WHAT COMES NEXT?
As I pledged in the first blog post, I will now be reaching out to all New Speakers, to offer personalized feedback. A number of Experienced Speakers also volunteered to help, so I will be working out those logistics. Additionally, if any of the Novice Speakers would like the same kind of help, please contact me – I will add you to the list too!
There are numerous opportunities to present: internally to coworkers, Toastmasters, User Groups, SQL Saturdays, & Virtual Chapters. And all of them are always looking for new speakers! When will you speak next?